Masons' Marks Project

Find known locations within     Km of Grid Reference     Type in the reference    
or set it to this location ->    

         
LinkButton
      Survey Sheets

A building stood on this site by the 14th century and a castle was built c1409; rebuilt after a fire in 1452. Additions in 16th and 17th centuries.
Original contract for building work dated 1555 names two masons John Hutton and William Welsh with their marks as signatures at the bottom. Although the castle has been altered considerably 15th and 16th century walls survive internally, with the remains of a towerhouse dating to 15th century within the south wing, the interior of which was heavily damaged by fire in 1920.
32 marks recorded with 10 masons.