Masons' Marks Project

Find known locations within     Km of Grid Reference     Type in the reference    
or set it to this location ->    

         
LinkButton
      Survey Sheets

Originally a motte and bailey castle on mound to NW of castle. Stone castle built in 15th century, of which only the basement survives under a later mid 16th century castle, which was built on top of it, with further work added in the early to mid 17th century. Ralph Raleyn master mason 1595; George Thomson master mason in 1643. John Kemlock 1455?
136 marks recorded with 48 different masons.


A number of masons marks have also been noted on the bridge over the river to the north of the castle but have not yet been recorded.