Masons' Marks Project

Find known locations within     Km of Grid Reference     Type in the reference    
or set it to this location ->    

         
LinkButton
      Survey Sheets

Built on the site of an earlier church; consecrated in 1224; damaged by fire in 1270; sacked in 1390 by the Wolf of Badenoch, Alexander Stewart; re-built and completed after several additions in the 15th century with the Chapter house being rebuilt about 1500. There may be a number of re-used stones. In use until the Reformation when the lead was stripped from the roof leading to decay and collapse. Marks were originally recorded by Mr William Bartlam. 125 marks recorded with 58 different masons. A later visit by the Project recorded more marks taking the number to 194 marks of 83 different masons. The Towers at the west end have still to be surveyed.